Friday 24 April 2015

INSTA WEAN TEAM - Avocado

On Friday 10th April I was invite to take part in the Avocado #Instaweanteam challenge.

Avocado is a 'new' food for me, something I usually only have to hold my prawn cocktails, but once again, being a mummy has opened my eyes to something new.

Austin loves avocado, but I'd only spread it on toast or put it in a cream sandwich, time to freshen things up..

I went a little over the top with my prep, I wanted to create a full meal out of avocado, which lead me to:
Coconut chicken with avocado sauce, with a side of avocado fries:

recipe & method

coconut chicken 
1 packet of chicken breast strips
1 bowl of plain flour (enough to coat the chicken)
1 egg beaten in a bowl
1 bowl of desiccated coconut (enough to coat the chicken)
2 tbsp of coconut oil


  • Dip the chicken in the flour, shake off the excess, dip into the egg, then dip into the coconut.
  • Repeat for all chicken strips.
  • Gently fry the chicken in the coconut oil, turning frequently until all sides are slightly browned.
  • Place on a baking tray and cook for 20-25 mins 200 degrees until completely cooked, drizzle excess coconut oil on top for extra crunch.


avocado sauce
2 garlic cloves
handful of fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 avocado
juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp cold water


  • Blend all together in a food processor, serve immediately

avocado fries
1 avocado, cut into fingers
1 bowl of plain flour, enough to cover the avocado
1 egg beaten in a bowl
1 bowl of panko breadcrumbs, enough to cover the avocado
1 tbsp of unsalted butter



  • one at a time, dip avocado finger into the flour, shake off excess
  • dip in the egg, then the breadcrumbs
  • repeat for all avocado fingers
  • gently fry in butter until golden on all sides, turning frequently
  • bake for 10 - 15 mins 200 degrees until evenly cooked, turning half way through
Enjoy! 






No comments:

Post a Comment