Saturday 12 September 2015

Cauliflower fried rice


Healthy Kids Community - week 2

Pasta alternative

Like most families, we have our fair share of pasta, spaghetti and rice dishes and you know why, they are soooo easy and quick to make.

So this week we chose a family favourite and shook it up!

I checked the web for pasta alternatives and saw something I had never seen before; people were suing cauliflower as a rice alternative! The poor veg that I always passed in the supermarket unless I fancied cauliflower cheese, had so much more potential.

I needed to tap into this secret world.

Just to side track a tad, hubby and I are BIG lovers of Tapenyaki and I am always so fascinated by how they prepare the rice, and I have long wanted to have a go at some fancy rice myself, now I had my chance, with the cauliflour.

Ingredients

1 cauliflower head

2 TBSP sesame seed oil

1 clove of garlic, diced

half a white onion, diced

1/2 cup of peas

4 carrots, diced

2-3 TBSP light soy sauce

2 eggs,

2 spring onions, chopped

Method

1) grate the head of your cauliflower to create 'rice'

2)pre-heat a large frying pan / wok add the sesame oil, garlic, onion, peas and carrots and gently fry until soft, move to one side of the frying pan

3) add the eggs to the free side of the frying pan, and fry unit cooked, creating a scrambled egg and mix well with the veg.

4) add cauliflower rice and soy sauce to the frying pan and combine all ingredients together. continue to fry until all cooked and tender (approx 5 mins)

5) add spring onions and stir through.

6) serve

Now, this was supposed to be a side dish to chicken or fish when we got back from the local festival, but the weather had other ideas for us, so instead this was a super delicious yummy lunch.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment